What to do?

As lots of you know I like to find out about ever thing pertaining to Salt Spring real estate. Especially if it’s for sale. I have been working on putting up a few new web site pages up on some of the various developments on Salt Spring over the last few weeks. Maybe you have checked out one of the pages like this one Bishops Walk Salt Spring. What I have been doing is visiting the developments and going over everything from the plans to the driveways, wells, views, etc… It’s really convenient when there are no homes and it’s all open. I can go by and get all the info I want as long as I have permission to visit the lots. Part of my process is to shoot a pricture of the wells and capture the well ID plate number.

Here is a photo of a well with an ID plate. You can see the 5 digit number.

With that number you plug it into the provincial data base here

and you will see the well report.  It’s simple.  They have a good well.

Now please try and put these number in;

Did you get any results? What the heck? This is a new subdivision. This should not happen. I will be checking this out a little “deeper”.



Scott Simmons


  1. Update on this. I found out that Anderson and Alliance drilling were the two companies that had these plates issued to them. Both companies would not submit reports to the data base and they have both gone out of business. One would want to do a short pump test on these wells before buying. According the a really nice lady who works at the Ministry of Environment the new Water act will change the way well reports are filed. At the present time it’s voluntary if the driller submits the report on not. Next year when the new act comes into law it will be mandatory to file new well reports. Like she said the ideal of having a registry is so that if there was a contamination the gov could contact people asap or if a new development was planned they could tell who would be affected. Here is a link to the new act http://engage.gov.bc.ca/watersustainabilityact/the-proposal/. One big change will be; Groundwater users would need a licences and would pay annual fees. However, most “domestic” water wells – including wells for household drinking water- would be exempt from licensing, except in some areas with, for example, vulnerable aquifers under high water demand.

    Stay tuned will keep and eye on this.

    Scott Simmons

Leave a Reply to Scott Simmons Cancel reply